Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 1 - John Prepares A Way For Jesus

Matthew 3-4

A new semester has begun, and new classes have also begun. I have decided to incorporate two class, New Testament Survey and Spiritual Formations 2. My plan is to read through the New Testament, and keep a daily journal about my readings.

As my daily devotions this morning I read through Matthew 3 and 4, learning about all that John did to prepare the way for Jesus. John recognized that Jesus was someone of importance, and he refuted his faith in God and Jesus as he was opposed by rulers and authority. John looked to Jesus a someone much more then a human man living on the earth. So it shocked John when Jesus came to him to receive water baptism. In John's eyes, Jesus was blameless and pure, and did not require cleansing through water baptism. But Jesus showed John that even though He was free of sin, He too required the physical demonstration of baptism through water. Through this, God showed His love for His Son, and for His children.

Reading these passages of scriptures proved that Jesus was a humble and respectful man. Not only was He blameless, and the Son of God... but He was also willing to follow in God's will on earth. By humbling himself and allowing His cousin to baptize Him, He showed that He had a respect and love for the things that God desires for all His children to do. Also in reading the scripture, I saw that John had such a high respect for Jesus. He knew that Jesus was an important man, and John was always willing to defend and back up Jesus. It showed a deep respect and adoration for someone who deserved every bit of that respect and adoration.

In my life, I want to show the same respect and adoration for Jesus. I want to defend who He is, no matter who opposes Him. Jesus deserves the highest place of honor, and it hurts me when I see people knocking Him down. Jesus lived as a plain and ordinary man, and He ended up living out His calling to do amazing, world altering changes.

Dear God, I pray that I can defend You and Your Son. Your Son sacrificed so much, and He humbled His life greatly. I pray that I can defend and honor Jesus in the way He deserves. Help me to follow You, and to keep on track with Your will and ways. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment