Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 7 - Fasting & Sacrifice

Matthew 6:16-18

When I was younger, I struggled for a year with eating disorders. The result of these eating disorders is that I started to destroy my body. After I finally beat my eating problems I ended up developing hypo-glycemia. Hypo-glycemia is a type of low-blood sugar disorder, meaning that I have to keep my blood sugars up at all times. I tried fasting last year, and barely lasted a day. By the end of the day I was very sick and I was forced to stay in bed because I had absolutely no energy. Needless to say, I have learned that fasting is something I cannot do.

However, I use sacrifice as my form of fasting. I look into my life and find what is distracting me from a proper relationship with God. Sacrifice and fasting are both very important to helping a person reevaluate their lives and their priorities. It is important to note that sacrifice and fasting are not to be gloated about. Matthew 6 talks of how you should not be obvious about your fasting or sacrifice. You should go about your daily life, and avoid complaining and drawing attention to the fact that you aren't eating or that you aren't doing specific things.

In sacrifice, God should always be the focus. He should be what we turn to first. We should not take our time of fasting and sacrifice to focus on how hungry we are or how much we miss watching tv or anything else that we are sacrificing. We should praise God for what we have, and praise God for giving us life. Fasting and sacrifice is about God, not us.

God, let us be selfless in our fasting and praying. When we choose to fast or sacrifice, help us to focus completely on you and to not let our problems or frustrations get in the way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment