Matthew 5
This chapter talked of many things, including God's blessings, heaven, and divorce. One verse that I found interesting and eye-opening was verse 37. This verse talks about how you are not to make an oath or promise. It states that promises are not acceptable to God, man, or acquaintances. Making a promise is something that cannot be broken, as it is a very serious matter. Breaking a promise will break an oath to God, and it will cause people to lose their trust in you.
In my life, I have made the choice not to make promises to people. There have been many times when people want me to make a promise to them, but I have had to deny their wish. I have had many conversations like this:
"Jodi, I never see you!"
"I know, we should hang out soon."
"Yes! Promise that we'll hang out!?"
"I can't promise you that we'll hang out, but I will do my best to spend time with you."
I understand that hanging out with people is important, but I also know that I have a very busy life. I work and I go to school full-time, so between those two, I am constantly busy. I do my best to spend time with my friends, but often times, I can't do everything. So I choose not to make a promise to my friends, because there is a chance that the promise will be broken.
God, help me to keep my word. Let my yes be yes, let my no be no. Keep me from making promises, especially promises that cannot be kept. You are my focus and you are one who I put my trust in. Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment