Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 16 - Demanding A Sign

Matthew 16:1-4

The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and demanded Him to show them a sign from heaven. They were doing everything in their power to prove Him wrong. Jesus replied saying that the sky is red so the weather will be fair, and that during the day it will be storm because the sky is red and overcast. Jesus told them that they had the power to interpret the appearance of the sky, but that they could not interpret the signs of times. Wickedness and adulterous times were upon them, and a miraculous sign would not be given. After saying all this, Jesus left.

Similar questions are asked of God in these days. "When is the second coming going to happen?" and "When can we meet You in heaven?" Others demand answers from God (with quite odd expectations as to how he answers those demands): "If I'm supposed to take this job offer, make the shower turn cold after two minutes." or "Bring a man, 5'11" tall, to tell me that I'm supposed to buy that sweater." We must be aware that God does not work on man's timing, but He works on His own timing. We are to be patient and wait for God to do as He wishes. Rushing it or demanding things from God will make situations harder.

Often I try to rush God into telling me how He's going to provide for me. But I realize that He will provide for me when the time is right. My job right now is to press into Him and to pray into what He is doing and continuing to do. I will make the process harder if I demand too much, and don't follow God's timing.

God, help me to follow your timing, and to not get too caught up in my own timing or demands. Help me to not be like the Pharisees, who expected a specific type of sign from You. Help me to be patient and ready to wait for You to work your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment